Throughout the summer, we are exposed to harsh UV rays on a daily basis. So, making that extra effort to protect and hydrate our skin in order to diminish the negative effects of time spent under the sun is essential. In this list, you’ll find 12 of our favorite summer-appropriate products for enhancing your skin’s natural beauty while shielding it from the sun. Not only will these products keep your skin healthy and clear, they’ll also ensure that you can achieve a naturally flawless makeup application. To help you along the way, we’ve also included six universally adored cosmetic products ideal for minimal vacation makeup or the current “no makeup makeup” trend. Get your glow on with these summer skin products and enjoy a youthful, radiant complexion all season long!
PROTECT & REFRESH
The key to beautiful, youthful skin is protecting it from the sun. These six products include our favorite face sunscreen and travel sunscreen, a heavy-duty protectant for your lips and three hydrating products that will refresh skin after a day in the sun.
- Drunk Elephant Umbra Sheer Physical Daily Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 30: This is our go-to face sunscreen throughout the summer months and beyond. Not only does it protect the skin from UVA/UVB rays, it also hydrates while minimizing the look of pores and fine lines. ($34)
- Tarteguard Mineral Powder Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30: Here is our favorite travel sunscreen. This easy-to-apply (and pack) mineral powder brushes on easily to apply protection without messing up your makeup. ($28)
- Shiseido Sun Protection Lip Treatment SPF 35: Don’t forget about your lips! They are often overlooked when applying sunscreen but can easily become dry and cracked without moisture and protection. This lip treatment, recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation, provides SPF 35 defense against UVA/UVB rays. It nourishes lips making them soft and luminous and can be worn under or on top of lipstick. ($24)
- Lancôme Énergie de Vie The Smoothing & Plumping Water-Infused Cream: Before applying sun protectant, make sure you give thirsty skin the hydration it needs. This water-infused moisturizing cream actually makes skin feel energized and restored with its soothing cooling effect while giving skin an instant glow. ($55)
- Moroccanoil After-Sun Milk Soothing Body Lotion: After a day full of sun exposure, it’s important to hydrate and soothe skin. This after-sun lotion is lightweight and nourishing. It helps to enhance and extend sun-kissed skin while moisturizing with soothing aloe, argon oil and vitamin E. ($28)
- Herbivore Rose Hibiscus Coconut Water Hydrating Face Mist: On a beach or pool day or really any long summer day, we love to have a hydrating face mist in our purse for a midday pick-me-up. This rose hibiscus coconut water is an all-natural mist that instantly revitalizes and refreshes skin. This is safe to use on top of makeup! ($32)
Hydate, hydrate, hydrate— this is one of the most important things to keep in mind when trying to achieve a radiant, smooth complexion. These six products are our go-tos for quenching skin’s summer thirst and making sure we are moisturized throughout the season.
- Clinique Moisture Surge 72-Hour Auto-Replenishing Hydrator: It’s all in the name … this product offers an intense surge of moisture ideal for those struggling with dry, flaky skin. This gel-cream actually works to help skin continually rehydrate itself and then locks in that moisture for a plump, dewy and healthy-looking glow. ($39)
- Summer Fridays Jet Lag Mask: This mask recently hit the beauty scene, and it has made a huge splash. It is a one-of-a-kind hydrating cream mask that delivers rich hydration and results in glowing, radiant skin after just one use. ($48)
- Drunk Elephant B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Gel: Drunk Elephant describes this product as “a cool glass of water for your thirsty skin.” It is an ultra-hydrating vitamin B5 gel that delivers hydration throughout the day while improving the texture and tone of skin. ($52)
- Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Night Oil: This sleeping oil is the best of the best. It’s a retinol oil that, when applied before bed each night, boosts the look and feel of skin’s plumpness while reducing the look of wrinkles, fine lines, dark spots, redness and pores for visibly youthful skin. It’s pricey, but worth it. ($105)
- Fresh Peony Instant Brightening Face Serum: After giving skin all of the hydration it needs, make sure to apply a brightening serum to further enhance that glowing complexion. This silky serum works to even skin tone and texture to reveal a dewy, luminous glow. ($68)
- Kopari Coconut Melt: Forego those makeup removal wipes or heavily concentrated products, which can often dry out skin, and opt for this all-in-one hydrating melt. The Kopari Coconut Melt can be used to remove makeup, as a lip balm, a deep hair conditioning mask, bath boost, shave oil, belly beauty balm, baby butter and more. And it’s not your kitchen coconut oil, this one is specially made for hair and skin to provide ultimate hydration and radiance. ($28)
NATURALLY FLAWLESS FACE
After you’ve addressed skin’s summer issues, make sure you’re achieving the coveted “no makeup makeup” look that is the season’s top beauty trend. Here are six products that will help you create a flawless complexion while enhancing your natural beauty.
- IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream with SPF 50+: This is the ultimate product for evening out skin tone, hiding unwanted texture, blemishes, pores and fine lines all while looking lightweight and natural on skin. It also offers strong SPF protection! ($38)
- Benefit Cosmetics Hoola Cream-to-Powder Quickie Contour Stick: Benefit’s original Hoola Bronzer has been a Sephora bestseller for years, and we can attest to its universally flattering shade and multi-tasking bronzing and sculpting ability. Throughout summer, though, we prefer to use a cream or liquid product to further create that naturally flawless look. This contouring stick is beyond easy-to-apply and blends out into a flattering soft bronze shade for a sunkissed glow. ($28)
- Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector: Continuing along the liquid and cream products, this liquid highlighter from Becca is aptly named shimmering skin perfector. It gives skin a natural-looking glow and provides a radiant, dewy and youthful finish. ($41)
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Clear Brow Gel: This one may seem a bit strange, but the Anastasia Clear Brow Gel is one of our go-tos for natural and beautiful makeup. Apply this to brushed through brows to hold them in place all day without making brows look too bold. You can also use this on your lashes to enhance eyes without applying tons of mascara!
- Tarte Quench Lip Rescue Balm: For natural, nude lips that look replenished and glowing, this Tarte lip rescue balm is our top pick. As part of their hydrating Rainforest of the Sea collection, this balm delivers intense moisture and a sheer tint for natural and healthy-looking lips. ($19)
- COOLA Makeup Setting Spray SPF 30: Finish off the look and make sure it lasts all day with this COOLA setting spray. This is a 70% organic spray that reduces shine, refreshes UV protection and keeps makeup looking fresh all day long. ($36)
Keep up with the best of the South. Follow us on Instagram, @StyleBlueprint.