Borrowing (okay, stealing) beauty buys from the boys is officially expert-approved. Dion Nash, founder of the men’s line Triumph and Disaster USA, explains, “We men aim to impress. It’s no surprise that our favorite products are girls’ guilty pleasures, always swept [away] right from under us. To us, it’s no fun being a men’s brand if you aren’t loved by the girls.” Consider this your green light to peruse beyond your typical selection of scented skin and haircare in your S.O.’s medicine cabinet or your big bro’s toiletry kit. Prepare yourselves for refreshingly straightforward packaging, potent ingredients, results-driven marketing — and maybe even a meeting with your new skincare soulmate. To steer you in the right direction, experts reveal the eight most surprisingly shareable beauty products to try.
cecilia wong, celebrity facialist and skincare line founder
1. Body Balm for Dry Patches: Hard-to-hydrate places like knees, elbows, and feet can become rough in the summer when we frequently wear sandals and expose our skin. Wong has a solution: “I love Beardbrand’s balm as it deeply hydrates the skin. Because men have much thicker skin than women, this balm works really well on dry patches on knees and elbows while still being suitable for use on the face. And the scent is ridiculously delicious!” Brit + Co Pick: BeardBrand’s Spiced Utility Balm ($28)
Joey maalouf, celebrity m.u.a. and the glam app co-founder
2. No-Streak Bronzer: Maalouf has devoted considerable time to finding the *best* bronzer for a healthy-looking glow, sans streaks or splotches. “After you’ve showered and moisturized, apply it to your forehead, cheeks, nose, and collarbone for a I’ve-been-out-in-the-sun-all-day radiant look, with no effort,” he says. “Make sure you apply it fast and evenly and really blend in the edges well. And don’t forget to wash your hands immediately after you’ve applied.” Brit + Co Pick: Clinique For Men Face Bronzer ($20)
Lauren erro, beauty blogger
3. Razors for a Close Shave: This beauty blogger swears by using men’s razors for shaving her legs ever since borrowing her husband’s Gillette razor. “I’ve had the actual razor handle for like 10 years, but I buy [them] in bulk from Costco,” she admits. Brit + Co Pick: Gillette Fusion5 Men’s Razor ($9)
Sora connor, senior facialist at joanna vargas spa
4. Styling Wax for Eyebrows: The celebrity esthetician found an essential product for shaping flawless brows in an ex-boyfriend’s dopp kit. “I used it in a pinch once,” she says. “And then I stole it!” Brit + Co Pick: BlindBarber 60 Proof Styling Wax ($20)
lily talakoub, m.d., mcclean skin & dermatology center
5. Wash-In Eyebrow Tint: The dermatologist taught us that you can shampoo-in an ideal tint for your arches in minutes thanks to the buildable, multi-shade line of wash-in hair dye for men. “The color works very well, but test it first to see how much color your brows pick up,” Talakoub shares. “Do so by leaving it on for one minute, gradually increasing the time [until reaching] your desired shade.” Brit + Co Pick: Just For Men Original Formula ($6)
sarah lore, founder of apothecary co.
6. Organic Shave Soap for Smooth Legs: After searching near and far for the most effective shave cream, Lore discovered her holy grail product in her own bathroom. “I’ve been on a quest for the perfect shaving cream for literally decades,” she begins. “I was out of my regular shave cream, so I borrowed my husband’s — and now I absolutely can’t live without it. I love it because it’s super lightweight in texture but thick enough that it completely protects your skin, making shaving fast and easy, and it rinses quickly away.” Brit + C. Pick: Dr. Bronner’s Organic Shave Soap ($9)
david shafer, m.d., of Shafer Plastic Surgery
7. Gentle Glycolic Cleanser: Shafer approves of the line’s organic, cruelty-free ingredients, which are soothing enough for women. “The glycolic acid helps gently exfoliate, and it gives the skin an antioxidant boost [to] protect from environmental toxins and stress. The kaolin clay helps reduce oiliness while not over-drying the skin,” he continues. “It is an excellent cleanser made for men but mellow enough for women.” Brit + Co Pick: Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser ($22)
meghan carraher, founder of the collection by mc
8. T-Shirt Hair Towels: The next time you shower, wrap your wet locks in one of your guy’s T-shirts to avoid the frizz-causing friction that regular towels can create. Carraher directs, “After gently wringing water out of your hair, toss it into that soft old t-shirt to absorb the moisture and combat frizz. Less friction means a better hair day ahead… Extra points if you keep the shirt!” Brit + Co Pick: Econscious Men’s Classic Organic T-Shirt ($16)
Do you use any men’s beauty products? Tell us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co. may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.