The women on The Bachelor may not be there to make friends but they are nicer to each other than you’d think. Exhibit A: They share beauty secrets. Products too. Even better: We have them. Because who isn’t dying to know which foundation holds up for hours in front millions of people watching in high-def? Or what concealer stays on when you’ve been awake all night for a rose ceremony? Or the waterproof mascara to wear when it actually matters (i.e., getting dumped on national TV)?
These girls look perfect on camera, but there are no hair or makeup artists on-set. Yes, you heard right, there are NO hair and makeup artists on-set. Those flawlessly applied false lashes and the perfectly curled hair? It’s all them. Here’s how they did it—behold: five Bachelor alums’ from Season 23 share their beauty tips on how to DIY a TV-ready lewk.
1. Put your hair in a ponytail if you need to curl it. “I put a ponytail on the top of my head and then I split it down the middle. I curl one side of it one way, the other side the opposite way, and then I let it down and have these amazing curls,” says Burnett. She uses a Bombay curling wand, then puts a little bit of Biosilk Hair Oil on her hair. According to Burnett, not only does it leave her hair shiny, but it’s also super lightweight and smells amazing.
2. Wear waterproof mascara on your lower lashes. I mean, obviously. “I would put the Better Than Sex Waterproof on the lower lash line. It would make my eyes pop, it stays put, and I never have to worry about smudging,” says Burnett.
3. Give your face a flawless finish with powder. Burnett swears by Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Powder. “I think the most important part of making sure your makeup looks good on TV is finishing powder with a good powder. Translucent powder can be really light sometimes, but this one blends perfectly.” And if it’s good enough for reality TV, it’s definitely good enough for date night.
4. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. While Burnett is pretty low maintenance when it comes to skincare, she’s obsessed with Lancôme’s Bienfait Cream. “My granny got me this when I was a little girl and I’ve used it ever since. It works so well and keeps my skin plump and soft.”
Demi’s Top Beauty Picks
1. Good skin = good makeup. “I started taking care of my skin a lot while filming, because if you take care of it, your makeup looks 10 times better. It’s definitely an obsession now,” says Ehie. Her Go-Tos? The Nylynn Cosmetics Honey Exfoliating Scrub to make her skin glow and the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel to keep it moisturized.
2. Setting spray will be your makeup’s saving grace in super-hot temps. When you can’t have your makeup slide off your face in the middle of the jungle in Thailand, setting spray is your BFF. “I stuck to two products: the Iconic London Prep Set Glow spray, which has a shimmer and holds your makeup pretty well, and the Urban Decay All-Nighter, which was perfect for days when my skin felt extra oily and needed some more hold.”
3. Fake lashes are ev-er-y-thing if you can’t keep up with lash extension appointments. “I had lash extensions for the first three weeks, but those slowly started falling out, so I wore the Ardell Demi Whispies and they were awesome. I had no idea how to put on fake lashes, but different girls on the show helped me [apply them], so now I’m hooked and they’re all I wear.”
4. Concealer will make you look like you’ve slept when you haven’t in what feels like days. “On The Bachelor, you don’t get a ton of sleep and I have the worst under-eye bags, so I used It Cosmetics Bye Bye Undereye concealer and it was amazing. It brightened up my face and let me fake eight hours in three seconds.”
5. Consider microblading if you want to wake up with perfect brows—no product necessary. Microblading—when you ~casually~ get your eyebrows permanently tattooed on your face—was also a part of her Bachelor prep. “My eyebrows are microbladed and I hadn’t gotten them touched up in a year, but the week before I left for the show, I went back and got them done again. Having them done is a real game changer. I don’t have to worry about putting any product on them—I wake up and they’re good to go.”
Onyeka’s Beauty Must-Haves
1. Use a really good concealer that lasts. Hannah relied on hers when cocktail parties would go all night. “I used a ton of concealer because I wasn’t sleeping a ton. The Tarte Shape Tape concealer used to be the concealer I’d use on special occasions, but now I’m hooked and use it every day.”
2. Dewy setting spray can save dry skin. Her fave is the Iconic London Prep Set Glow, just like Onyeka’s fave. “It makes everything look dewy, which was perfect for the more beachy dates. My face is already kind of dry, so for me, using something hydrating helped set my makeup.”
3. Find your perfect date-night lip color and stick to it. “The lipstick I’ve used for years is MAC’s Cremesheen Lipstick in “Modesty.” It’s the perfect shade of nude, and it is moisturizing and doesn’t come off in patches.”
4. Want to make your eyes really pop? Whether it’s for a TV show or Instagram, doing a bold winged liner can level up your look. “Demi actually inspired me to wear winged eyeliner again. I would stare at her eyes and the little cat eye would just pop. It’s so pretty and it always looked really good on camera.”
5. Don’t stick to just one shade of bronzer. “I used every shade of bronzer in the Anastasia Contour Kit. It has so many different tones that I could switch up how I wore it daily. Like, when we were in Thailand and I got a lot of sun, I would use the darker shades; and when my skin looked bit paler, I would go with a lighter one.”
Hannah’s Makeup Necessities
1. Always pack a mirror. Whether you’re getting ready in the Bachelor mansion, or in a sorority house full of girls, pack your own mirror. “I brought my own small vanity mirror and it saved me a ton of times, because there were so many girls getting ready and I was able to find my own little corner and do my makeup.”
2. Keep your makeup from budging with a setting spray. Makeup sliding off by lunch time? Don’t worry, Caelynn’s got you. “That was a huge fear of mine actually, my makeup sliding off, so I got the Boscia White Charcoal Setting Spray and it helped a ton. My makeup would stay on even if we were in humid temperatures.”
3. A heat protectant spray can save your hairstyle. Caelynn had to actually cut her hair because of all the heat damage. “I had to chop it all off after the show because I had curled it almost every single day.” So, spray on Moroccanoil’s Perfect Defense spray before you use any heat-styling tools to prevent any further damage.
4. Opt for a buildable foundation, so it doesn’t look cakey over time. If you’re looking for the perfect foundation to make you look camera-ready, Caelynn swears by Esteé Lauder’s Double Wear Foundation and the Nars Sheer Glow Foundation. “They’re both super lightweight and buildable, meaning it doesn’t look like I’m wearing 83 pounds of makeup on my face.”
Caeylnn’s Beauty Go-To’s
1. If you’re on a date and know there’s going to be some kissing involved (or, TBH, if you just need a good lip gloss), grab the Rouge Coco Gloss from Chanel, says Tayshia. “This gloss doesn’t dry my lips out or feel super sticky. I would throw it on during dates, and it would always make my lips pop.”
2. Didn’t get a full 8 hours last night? Don’t worry—Tayshia swears by this product to deal with under-eye puffiness. “There were so many times where we’d have a long rose ceremony and I wouldn’t be able to get a ton of sleep—it definitely would’ve showed if it wasn’t for Kiehl’s Eye Fuel. It’s my absolute go-to—it’s lightweight and it instantly wakes me up.”
3. Have you ever woken up the day before an event with a massive pimple on your face? You might want to try Mario Badescu’s Drying Lotion. “It’s actually a miracle worker, I’m so happy it’s in my life now. I started using it on the show and it’s a complete game changer. Whenever a pimple would pop up, I would use this as a spot treatment. My pimple would be gone overnight!” Shout out to salicylic acid.
4. Still on the hunt for the perfect dry shampoo? Look no further. “I’m in love with the Oribe Gold Lust Dry Shampoo—it doesn’t make me look like I have a powdered wig on, it smells good, and my hair looks bouncier and feels fuller.”